A boil water advisory is in place for Sedgwick County Rural Water District 3.
There was a small leak in a pipe that was repaired, but the drop in pressure means some lines could have become contaminated.
This effects southeast Sedgwick County, southwest Butler County, northeast Sumner, and northwest Cowley counties.
Until tests show no bacteria, residents using this water supply are advised to use the following guidelines.
- If your tap water appears dirty, flush the water lines by letting the water run until it clears.
- Boil water for one minute prior to drinking or food preparation or use bottled water.
- Dispose of ice cubes and do not use ice from a household automatic icemaker.
- Disinfect dishes and other food contact surfaces by immersion for at least one minute in clean tap water that contains one teaspoon of unscented household bleach per gallon of water.
- Water used for bathing does not generally need to be boiled. Supervision of children is necessary while bathing so that water is not ingested. Persons with cuts or severe rashes may wish to consult their physicians.