The American Red Cross has three shelters open in Kansas to assist those who have been displaced from their homes due to flooding. The shelters are located at:
- First Baptist Church, 1101 N. 4th Street, Burlington, Kansas
- Independence Memorial Hall, 410 Pennsylvania Ave., Independence, Kansas
- Neodesha City Civic Center, 1407 N. 8th Street, Neodesha, Kansas
Six additional shelter locations are on standby and prepared to open if needed at:
- First Southern Baptist, 2701 W 8th Street, Coffeyville, Kansas
- First Covenant Church, 2625 E. Magnolia Road, Salina, Kansas
- Erie High School 1400 N. Main Street, Erie, Kansas
- Chapman Elementary School, 500 Irish Dr., Chapman, Kansas
- Emmanuel Church, 1300 N. Vine, Abilene, Kansas
- Oskaloosa Public Schools-USD 341, 404 Park Street, Oskaloosa, Kansas
The Red Cross is working closely with local emergency management officials to coordinate relief services. Anyone who has been displaced from their home can contact their local county Emergency Management for updated shelter information in their area.
Volunteers are on hand in the open shelters to provide a safe place to stay, a place to sleep, a hot meal and referrals to community services.
Anyone evacuating to a shelter should bring essential items for each member of the family, including:
· Prescriptions and emergency medications
· Foods that meet unusual dietary requirements
· Identification to show residence is in the affected area and important personal documents
· Extra clothing, pillows, blankets, hygiene supplies and other comfort items
· Supplies needed for children and infants, such as diapers, formula, and toys
· Special items for family members who are elderly or disabled
Download the Red Cross Emergency App for shelter information and to get instant access to information and resources on what to do during a flood. The app is free and can be downloaded in app stores by searching for “American Red Cross” or going to redcross.org/apps.